In Rheumatoid Arthritis (or RA), the body's immune system attacks its own tissue, including joints. In severe cases, it attacks internal organs. Rheumatoid arthritis affects joint linings, causing painful swelling. Over long periods of time, the inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis can cause bone erosion and joint deformity. While there's no cure for rheumatoid arthritis, physical therapy and medications can help slow the disease's progression.
An emerging class of medications called Janus Kinase Inhibitors (JAK inhibitors) is offering new hope to patients with RA who don’t find relief with other treatments. JAK inhibitors are in a class of medications, sometimes called oral biologics. JAK inhibitors work in a different way than many others biologics have been used in RA to date. JAK inhibitors are small molecules that work inside cells. Traditional biologics block pro-inflammatory cytokines from outside. Jakinibs are taken by mouth. Traditional biologics are given through infusions or injections.
Under the direction of Dr. Manish Jain, our board-certified Rheumatologist, Great Lakes Clinical Trials’ is studying a new, investigational JAK inhibitor for Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) in conjunction with other medications, which are already available by prescription.
You may qualify for this study if you:
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Have moderate-to-severe RA, despite treatment with methotrexate
- Are still taking methotrexate, which doesn’t work well for you
As a qualified volunteer, you will:
- Be asked to come to the Great Lakes’ clinic for approximately 36 visits over 5 years
- Not be charged for study-related care, medications, or exams
- Always be encouraged to remain under the care of your primary doctor. Great Lakes Clinical Trials will work in conjunction with your primary doctor throughout the course of this research program.
- Receive $80 each time you visit our clinic, for your participation in this research program.
If you are interested in learning more, please call (773) 275-3500 or click the button below to sign up. One of our staff will contact you within the next business day to provide additional information and determine if you may qualify for this program.